Oyo Police Dismisses Alleged Bandit Invasion in Ogbomoso, Warn Against Fake News

Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of an alleged bandit attack in Ogbomoso and nearby communities, describing the incident as a false alarm fueled by misinformation and panic.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, said calm had been restored in Ogbomoso, Ajaawa Town, and surrounding areas after rumours spread that armed bandits had invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School in Ogbomoso.

According to the police, the rumours triggered fear among residents and prompted the immediate deployment of surveillance and patrol teams to verify the situation and prevent any breakdown of law and order.

Investigations revealed that the panic began after some students reportedly claimed that unfamiliar individuals had been seen behind the school fence.

Also Read:  Ibadan-based Family Of Late Military Pilot appeal to Government for Help

The report raised suspicion among teachers and students, leading to tension within the school environment.

Police operatives who arrived at the scene met with the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained the source of the alarm.

Preliminary findings showed that the individuals involved were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps attached to the Kwara State Command in Ilorin and two civilians travelling in a Toyota Venza SUV.

The individuals reportedly informed security operatives that they were visiting a female companion to celebrate her birthday.

Authorities also contacted relevant NSCDC officials in Ogbomoso to verify the identity of the officer involved.

Also Read:  Makinde, Ladoja Inspect Ibadan Circular Road Project

The police further stated that an altercation between some teachers and the visitors may have heightened suspicion within the school, causing students to spread unverified information to neighbouring schools and communities.

“This escalated panic and tension across parts of Ogbomoso and Ajaawa Town before the actual facts of the incident were established,” the statement said.

The command stressed that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or security breach in the affected communities.

To reassure residents, the police said patrols and visibility policing had been intensified, while stakeholders were engaged to maintain public confidence. The command added that academic, commercial, and social activities had since resumed normally in the area.

Also Read:  Meet Bushirah: Makinde's Pick for Commissioner for Youth and Sports

The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding.

He also warned against the spread of fake news and unverified security reports, noting that such actions could create unnecessary panic, disrupt socio-economic activities, and undermine security efforts.

The police cautioned social media users and members of the public against sharing unconfirmed reports, adding that anyone found deliberately spreading false information capable of inciting fear or public disorder would be investigated and prosecuted according to the law.

Related Articles

Don't Miss

Categories

Oyo Police Dismisses Alleged Bandit Invasion in Ogbomoso, Warn Against Fake News

Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of an alleged bandit attack in Ogbomoso and nearby communities, describing the incident as a false alarm fueled by misinformation and panic.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, said calm had been restored in Ogbomoso, Ajaawa Town, and surrounding areas after rumours spread that armed bandits had invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School in Ogbomoso.

According to the police, the rumours triggered fear among residents and prompted the immediate deployment of surveillance and patrol teams to verify the situation and prevent any breakdown of law and order.

Investigations revealed that the panic began after some students reportedly claimed that unfamiliar individuals had been seen behind the school fence.

Also Read:  Governor Seyi Makinde visits Flood Victims, Promises new Bridge and Drainage

The report raised suspicion among teachers and students, leading to tension within the school environment.

Police operatives who arrived at the scene met with the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained the source of the alarm.

Preliminary findings showed that the individuals involved were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps attached to the Kwara State Command in Ilorin and two civilians travelling in a Toyota Venza SUV.

The individuals reportedly informed security operatives that they were visiting a female companion to celebrate her birthday.

Authorities also contacted relevant NSCDC officials in Ogbomoso to verify the identity of the officer involved.

Also Read:  Oyo North Senator, Buhari to Dump APC for PDP

The police further stated that an altercation between some teachers and the visitors may have heightened suspicion within the school, causing students to spread unverified information to neighbouring schools and communities.

“This escalated panic and tension across parts of Ogbomoso and Ajaawa Town before the actual facts of the incident were established,” the statement said.

The command stressed that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or security breach in the affected communities.

To reassure residents, the police said patrols and visibility policing had been intensified, while stakeholders were engaged to maintain public confidence. The command added that academic, commercial, and social activities had since resumed normally in the area.

Also Read:  Three Die as Hoodlums, Police Clash in Moniya

The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding.

He also warned against the spread of fake news and unverified security reports, noting that such actions could create unnecessary panic, disrupt socio-economic activities, and undermine security efforts.

The police cautioned social media users and members of the public against sharing unconfirmed reports, adding that anyone found deliberately spreading false information capable of inciting fear or public disorder would be investigated and prosecuted according to the law.

spot_imgspot_img
spot_img

Don't Miss

Categories

Related Articles