How Moniya Police Brutalised, Detained Me — Ibadan Journalist Recounts Ordeal

John Alabi, a correspondent of the Silverbird Television in Ibadan has narrated how he was on Tuesday brutalised by the police in the line of duty, following the face off between them (Police) and some hoodlums at Moniya axis of Ibadan.

The Silverbird TV reporter, Alabi disclosed that he was released from the police custody following the intervention of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Oyo State Council.

According to John Alabi, who narrated how the incident happened, “Here is the narration of my ordeal during the bloody clash between the police and some hoodlums that took place today, Tuesday, 25th April, 2023 at Moniya, Ibadan.

See also  VIDEO: Oyo Acting Governor, Lawal, Other Political Functionaries Set to Receive Makinde in Grand Style

“I was at Akinyele Local Government in the morning on the said date, where I had a scheduled assignment to cover for my organisation.

“As a journalist, I got to the venue ahead of commencement of the assignment as expected, unfortunately while waiting for the organisers, I got wind of an information that there was a public disorder around the Akinyele Local Government.

“As expected of a professional journalist, I tried to know what the matter was and I was taking a few shots. Suddenly I saw about five police officers who approached and harrassed me, hitting me with gun butt, even after drawing their attention to the fact that I am a journalist.

See also  18 Feared Dead as Buses Crash On Moniya-Iseyin Road

“I showed them my identity card and other documents to show that I’m a journalist, but they turned deaf ears, arrested me and detained me at Akinyele Police Station from around 10:45 in the morning till 4:30 in the evening.

“Some of them threatened that I will be locked up at the State CID Iyaganku, and I will pay for a crime I did not commit.

See also  Dissolution of LAUTECH Joint Ownership Almost done - Oyo Govt

“The policemen were five in number, one of them is named Noah Ajebade. Three of them were not in uniform. The DPO after checking my identity card said I should sit on one of the chairs behind the complain desk. He did not attend to me till he received a call from his superior and that was around 3pm.

“It took the intervention of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, Oyo State Council before I was released,” he narrated.


About the author


Oyo Affairs is an independent news media with the main focus on Oyo state news, politics, current events, trending happenings within and around Oyo state, Nigeria

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment