How I Was Unlawfully Arrested, Brutalised, Detained by Some Police Men in Ibadan — Man Narrates Ordeal

A Tweep, Kayyus_Taiwo @taokayode has narrated how he was brutalised, unlawfully arrested and locked up by policemen on Wednesday, the 12th of October, 2022, at a popular market in Ibadan.

Taiwo said he was on his way back home from work around 3p.m when he was sent a message by his boss to help him submit an application at a computer centre.

He tweeted: “So, I went to a popular market in Ibadan to do it, I searched the market and found a place but the woman said she can’t do it, she now described another place to me inside the market. I got there and met the shop closed from the outside but the inner shop was never locked, there was a placard placed outside with the caption “Wait for me, I will be back in a jiffy”. So, I had to wait then while waiting these policemen came like 7-9 in numbers”.

He further narrated how many people had run for safety seeing some of the policemen in uniforms and others on mufti.

“I didn’t run since I had nothing bad on me. While I was standing, they came back and met me standing, asked what was inside my bag, I showed them everything.

“It was two pens, one exercise book, my I.D cards (both Voter’s Card and Work I.D card) phone charger, a power bank and my oga’s money. One of them, maybe their boss just commanded that they should carry me, they just carried me inside their bus (a white-painted unofficial bus).

See also  Eld-el-Fitr: NSCIA Urges Muslims to Look Out for Shawwal Today

“I entered and I was asking them a series of questions, “Where are you taking me to, what did I do, what’s ur station name, I even phoned my boss, he asked me same questions, even requested to speak with them but they did not answer, they seized my phones, my boss kept calling”, he added.

Taiwo said despite his pleas, they won’t let him pick up or access his phone.

“For like 10mins we kept going, inside the bus, they stopped and went to see someone at one big complex, I was afraid if I hadn’t been kidnapped by them disguising to be police officers, meanwhile only about 3 of them were left inside the bus with me.

“I managed to move to the entrance and shouted for help that I had been kidnapped and that people should help me, that was how all of them ran to the bus and started hitting me to go back, I kept shouting and they were still hitting me with the weapons in their hands.

“I kept shouting like it was my only way of survival and they never stopped hitting me, I was overpowered and taken to the last seat at the back and they handcuffed my two hands and even threatened me, they left the spot due to the scene I created, bcos some were videoing us”, he stated.

See also  Makinde Constitutes 15-Man C’tte for Omituntun 2.0 Inauguration

He further described how he was handed over to another set of policemen on a similar bus in another location, where they picked up more people along the road.

“They would just stop and those not in uniforms would get down first then the ones in uniform and they would arrest people, push them inside the buses. Later the two buses were fully loaded in some minutes, they took us all to their station late around 7 pm, they handed us our bags before we entered the station, I took out my phone inside the bag and messaged my boss.

“While trying to reply to my brother’s message, one of their officers saw me typing, came to me, slapped me and collected my phone. They collected our statements and took us straight inside the cell for committing absolutely no offence, they asked me to enter the cell but I refused and was begging them that my brother/boss would come.

“The officer pushed me in, locked the gate, then the guy inside started punching me for refusing to enter in the first place, he was asking if they that were inside were animals, collected the money that was inside my pocket, despite some injuries I had sustained, he was still punching me, I called for help from the officer, he came and he only had to tell them to take it easy on me instead that he cautioned them to stop beating me. Later that night some were bailed out, I spent the night there with the odours, the heat and the pains”, he narrated.

See also  Ibadan Poly Celebrates Makinde, Describes Re-election as Well Deserved Victory

According to Taiwo, he was later bailed out with money around 12-1 pm by his brother, leaving only 4 others left out of about 9 of us that spent the night in their cell.

Demanding justice, he wrote, “It’s just to let you all know that police brutality is still going on and most of the things we protested against are still happening… Those who are meant to protect us are the ones still hurting and tormenting us”.

Meanwhile, some hours after his complaint and tags, the Oyo State Police responded and reported that Taiwo has been given the direct phone number of the Commissioner of Police, CP Adebowale Williams to speak with but that he appears to be in transit at the moment.

The commissioner has therefore ordered full investigations into the case.


About the author


Oyo Affairs is an independent news media with the main focus on Oyo state news, politics, current events, trending happenings within and around Oyo state, Nigeria

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment