The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has shelved plans to protest a total subsidy removal on petrol.
NLC on Tuesday said it would no longer occupy the streets tomorrow Thursday, as planned.
It would be recalled that NLC had in December last year, fixed January 27 and February 2 for its protest across the 36 states against the subsidy removal.
The federal government, through the Minister of Finance had on Monday announced a reversal of its plan to remove subsidy, saying it will retain fuel subsidy indefinitely and will work on amending the 2022 budget to provide funds for that purpose.
Addressing a press conference, the NLC President, Ayuba Wabba said the congress took the decision at its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held virtually on Tuesday, to suspend the proposed strike.
Wabba stated that NEC of the NLC had given directives for the mobilisation of workers and citizens for the national protests if the federal government refused to reverse the planned hike in the pump price of petrol.
However, justifying the union’s decision, the NLC president said the congress dropped the planned protests “following the reversal by government.”
The labour leader said the congress had communicated the decision to its civil society allies who have stood stoically behind Nigerian workers in their quest for social and economic justice.
The NLC said it would continue to engage with the government on the very critical issues of ensuring local refining of petroleum, creation of sustainable jobs and affordable price of petrol for Nigerian workers and people.